Do you know those unique accommodations surrounded by nature, almost hidden from the rest of the world, where you are immersed by tranquility, comfort and authenticity? The Bilderberg hotels on the Dutch Veluwe will definitely do that for you.
I hope my previous blog Beauty of east Holland has inspired you to visit this area of my country soon and to witness the beauty of one of Holland’s most unique nature areas ”de Hoge Veluwe” yourself. A true gem in my country and maybe even Europe, with a big offering of authentic hotels in the middle of nature.
With 7 hotels and even a medieval castle event location in this nature reserve of east Netherlands the Bilderberg hotel chain has the most diverse offering in the area. They have been around for a century, and represent hospitality, unique locations, expertise, fine cuisine and above all class!
Their hotels guarantee affordable luxury with a warm welcome, good food and a comfortable stay in beautiful surroundings, that’s why I love them.
Just recently we had a wonderful long weekend getaway in my favourite Dutch nature area including a stay in 2 of their most authentic hotels, one of which even the first of their collection of 18 locations! We stayed in the original De Bilderberg Hotel in Oosterbeek and Résidence Groot Heideborgh in Garderen, both located around de Veluwe and only 30 kms apart but very different.
Let me show you what exactly makes these Bilderberg hotels unique through many of my personal pictures and some of the hotel’s, so you can see for yourself why I can recommend them for your visit to the Veluwe.
Unique features De Bilderberg Hotel Oosterbeek
- Original building with authentic façade and a renowned history of royalty and politicians meeting and staying there over several years,
- Centrally located near a variety of museums and cultural options, but in tranquil and relaxing surroundings completely immersed by nature,
- Ideal basis for hiking and cycling through de Hoge Veluwe,
- Situated amidst quaint villages which are almost idyllic with their authentic houses and local restaurants surrounded by old oaks,
- But also very close to the bigger cities Arnhem and Nijmegen,
- Excellent service, classy lobby and warm welcome,
- Spacious and comfortable rooms, with panoramic nature views from the wide balcony at the front side of the building,
- Many amenities in the room such as free coffee and tea facilities, fresh fruit, magazines, free WIFI, flat-screen TV, a bath and air-conditioning,
- Free private parking,
- Extensive coffee options and spacious atmospheric bar,
- Large indoor pool including sauna and steam bath, gym and tennis court,
- Excellent breakfast and 2 great restaurant options.
Although in house restaurant Julia’s Kitchen is great for breakfast and casual French/American dishes, dinner at Italian oriented Trattoria Artusi is something that should not be missed. This renowned restaurant in the extended glass sunroom of the hotel has its own terrace with direct views over the hotel’s nature grounds.
We were lucky to be able to dine outside with stunning nature views and a real Italian 3 course dinner incl.matching wine menu. As a Mediterranean and Italian food lover I was in heaven and can highly recommend this, especially the home made tiramisu is almost iconic!
Although we loved the history, atmosphere and surroundings of Bilderberg’s Grand Dame in Oosterbeek we were happy to add a completely different night’s stay to our weekend at Résidence Groot Heideborgh in Garderen. Although this is only a 40 minutes drive away this hotel has a whole different vibe.
Where De Bilderberg Hotel is very authentic, quaint and the facade has an almost Tiroler look to it, driving up to the estate of Résidence Groot Heideborgh amazes with its stature through the impressive building with picnic tables, ponds and a wide manicured park and terrace in front of it. And of course welcoming you with a private parking space with your name on it does make a good impression as well.
Unique features Bilderberg Résidence Groot Heideborgh Garderen
- All suite hotel with many extra facilities for conferences, meetings, and sportive activities. They even have a quad terrain and climbing-and survival track on their own grounds!
- Warm welcome, cozy lobby with fireplace and spacious seating options,
- Lovely Grand Café for casual dining, including a huge sunny outdoor terrace surrounded by forest and nature views,
- Centrally located near a variety of museums and attractions, but completely surrounded by their own forest on 27 acres of heathland ground,
- Ideal basis for hiking and cycling through the Veluwe,
- All suites are spacious with top to floor windows and direct forest views,
- Many amenities in the room such as free coffee and tea facilities, fresh fruit, magazines, free WIFI, flat-screen TV, a bath, safe and air-conditioning,
- Great breakfast and dinner in the chic a la carte restaurant Prinsenhof with excellent food and relaxing garden views,
- Free private guarded parking for at least 250 cars,
- Excellent private spa including wellness area and many treatment options.
About the wellness and beauty centre
The extensive Clarins beauty centre is one of the reasons why we love this hotel so much! Their multitude of different treatments combined with the private spa area including sauna, infra-red cabin, swimming pool, showers and footbaths, which you can have all to yourself for an hour, are perfect for an afternoon of relaxation and pampering. We have already been back for this 4 times in the past year as their package deals for several treatments including rental of the spa are very affordable and give you complete privacy, which we prefer opposed to other spa’s in the area. Also the massages and different treatments are some of the best in Holland, in my experience, and therefore highly recommended!
About the surroundings
I said it before and say it again the Veluwe is one of the most unique nature areas in Holland and should definitely be experienced if you like nature, hiking, cycling and culture.
I made a small gallery, so you can already experience this through my pictures:
I hope you will visit my country and this beautiful area soon! More pictures of the Dutch Veluwe and many tips for things to do here in my previous blog. And if you need any more tips for your visit to Holland or want to ask me anything travel related feel free to contact me by mail at:
Or get social with me on:
What do you think of these hotels and the Veluwe? Would you choose to stay here while visiting my country? I’d love to hear your opinion, just leave a comment below!