Working in fashion for 18 years now I had the privilege to visit many global cities for work, and always try to combine them with an extra personal day to explore the city. Last January I went to Hamburg for the first time in my life and again tried to combine business with pleasure. Hamburg is a city of industry, harbors, history and design, so a design hotel was easily found in this city.
During my city trips I prefer to stay in special hotels with a hint of history and an authentic touch, and I adore special design elements. That is exactly what I found in Hamburg!
Choosing between the design hotels in this city was still quite a challenge though, as the offering was so special and diverse. Therefore I put together a personal top 3, not based on ratings, but based on experience and personal preference.
As a heritage- and architecture lover my definite number one was:
- Gastwerk Design Hotel Hamburg
Arriving at this hotel, seeing the original factory façade; an impressive brick structure with modern steel and glass entrance, appear before me, was already a marvelous sight. But it was the beautiful spacious rooms with big rounded windows, the atmosphere of modern design combined with the authentic brick walls, impressive high ceilings and the friendly and easy going staff, which really captivated me.
This spacious loft like hotel of brick, glass and steel combined with the historic gaswork building is a definite must visit for architecture-, heritage-and design lovers!
Gastwerk Hotel Hamburg:
- Is the first design hotel of Hamburg since 2000, when the 120 years old gasworks building was transformed into a hotel.
- Gastwerk is a 4 star hotel with a 5 star service and feel.
- The hotel is situated in the west end of the city in the quiet but vibrant Bahrenfeld neighborhood in the dictrict Altona.
- Gastwerk has a variation of 6 room types, all spacious and unique, varying from 25 to 90 m2.
- The trendy in house L.Bar and beautiful restaurant Mangold with large summer patio, provide great ambiance and excellent food.
- Tranquil relaxation can be found in the hotel’s quiet and stylish spa area.
- The decoration of the hotel’s interior, as well as exterior is on point! You will see beautiful contrasts of raw industrial structures combined with tasteful lighting throughout the building.
- All loft rooms types are spacious, comfortable, luxurious, trendy and tastefully decorated.
- The ambiance of the breakfast area and array of fresh bread combined with many different food choices ranging from Bircher Muesli to salmon and seasoned mozzarella, are excellent.
- The old animal feed milling machine transformed into a bar is truly unique.
- The spacious building offers plenty room for relaxation, 7 conference rooms, a beautiful winter garden and many other facilities, all surrounded by the authentic brick walls combined with glass, steel and high ceilings. Free wifi is provided throughout the hotel and there are free parking spaces in front of the building.
- The hotel even has an in house artist; Georgios Engonidis, who makes beautiful abstract paintings in the hotel’s open art room. His works decorate many of the hotel rooms.
- Gastwerk also offers free car rental service of their own Mini’s to explore Altona and the rest of Hamburg the hipster way.
- The George Hotel Hamburg
Also a beautiful hotel and my runner up, but definitely not because it lacked elegance, style or service! This hotel gives off a whole different vibe than Gastwerk and is unique in its design.
Entering the hotel you will immediately be immersed with that distinguished English style, which creates an atmosphere of class so distinctive for the British, combined with a touch of orient.
The George hotel Hamburg:
- Is a 4 star hotel with a 5 star service and feel.
- The hotel is located near the Alster river, many sights and the colorful district St. Georg.
- The hotel has a wonderful rooftop terrace named Campari Lounge.
Up here you will have a beautiful view over the Alster and the best sunsets in town!
- The hotel has many business facilities such as: free wireless-lan, rooms with dividable beds, a nice offering of conference space, meeting rooms, a beautiful library, a bigger private library and the beautiful English Garden.
- You can relax in the spa facilities with an own rooftop terrace including a beautiful view over the Alster.
- The interior is designed in New British style with lovely wallpapers, Eames Chairs and many interesting details. The spa is also designed in the new British style combined with Moroccan influences.
- A big variation in choice of rooms, which are beautifully furnished and decorated with a classy touch.
- The luxurious suite has many extras, such as flat screen TV in the bathroom, two separated rooms, beautiful furniture and interior decoration and a spacious balcony with wide river view.
- The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Their typical dish is the Tagliatelle DaCaio swiveled in a loaf of parmesan and black truffles, served at the table and very tasty!
- The Bar DaCaio was voted best hotel bar of the year 2014, and is perfect for a great night out. Both locals and tourists come here for a drink, because it’s one of trendiest bar in town.
- They also serve the traditional afternoon tea from England.
- You can even rent a The George Jaguar for a drive in the beautiful city of Hamburg and surroundings.
- The hotel is certified by EarthCheck as green, trendy and sustainable hotel.
- 25Hours Number One hotel Hamburg
My number 3 felt like a home away from home. This hipster hotel is one of the 7 locations of the 25Hours Hotels spread out over Europe, 3 of which are located in Hamburg. The Number One is around the corner from the Gastwerk hotel and also situated in the quiet but vibrant Bahrenfeld area.
Although this is a 3 star hotel and very well priced it does look more expensive and is definitely on point! The designers of this hotel know their stuff and are on top of the trends, with a themed interior designed differently for each hotel.
The hotel offers many extra’s, such as free water bottles to go with your neighborhood running maps, an outside burger van, many recreational areas, terraces, and the list goes on and on.
For the young at heart and those who love modern design this is the place to be!
The 25Hours Number One hotel Hamburg:
- Is an affordable 3 star hotel decorated in an unique design with lots of extras, such as free wifi throughout the hotel and much more.
- All of the 25Hours hotels are designed by a different concept which is unique per location; if you have seen 1, you have seen none!
- All 25Hours hotels are trendy design hotels with a hipster touch, the Number One is designed in the colorful retro mix of the 60’s and 70’s.
- The Number One is situated on a vibrant location with many restaurants in Altona and the surrounding Bahrenfeld area.
- The hotel is spacious with a lot of different room types and facilities, while keeping the cozy atmosphere intact.
- The 25Hours Number One has a unique guesthouse concept across the street also known as: your home away from home! You can rent this beautiful house with 6 rooms together with your own kitchen, private terrace and balcony, how convenient is that?!
- The hotel rooms are great value for money as there is a big choice in rooms which fit any budget.
- The hotel offers many unique and trendy extras, like:
- Freitag bags for borrow,
- Free running accessories and maps,
- Recreation and living room including event bar,
- Rooftop terrace,
- Hip Burger de Ville airstream van and trendy but cozy restaurant,
- Imac working stations,
- Free Mini and bike rentals,
- And so much more….
- All hotel facilities are on top of the trends through collabs with young and fresh brands.
- Also nice to know that this hotel is certified by EarthCheck as green, trendy and sustainable hotel as well!
As you can see there is a design hotel for every taste in Hamburg, all of which trendy, classy and tastefully designed, just take your pick. And make sure to check out my next blog post Hamburg city trip in 1 day for the perfect city guide, this city really impressed me and is definitely worth a visit!
If you need any more travel tips or want to ask me anything travel related feel free to contact me by mail at:
Or get social with me on: